Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual IRQs in windows XP (Dual 2.4 Xeon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallow

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
I know what Virtual IRQs are, the problem is that when I installed windows XP on my Dual 2,4 Xeon server, it opted to install my sound card on IRQ 19 a virtual IRQ, ignoring IRQ 5 and 15, both of which remain unused. (The secondary IDE being disabled.) (Please see the “System Information” readout below) None of this would matter except that my sound card doesn’t work. Can anyone tell me why some devices appear twice in the S.I. readout and why windows did not simply assign my soundcard to an opened physical IRQ? I would especially like to know if IRQ setting can be manipulated in XP, though I know that’s asking a lot.
Rallow

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 12 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce3 OK
IRQ 16 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 16 D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter OK
IRQ 17 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra160 PCI SCSI Card OK
IRQ 18 Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra160 PCI SCSI Card OK
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller B1 OK
IRQ 19 Creative SB Audigy OK
IRQ 19 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
IRQ 23 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

WHAT I BELIEVE I SEE HERE IS A MB WITH DEFAULT SETTINGS. PLEASE GO TO YOUR CMOS/BIOS TABLE AND TURN ON ALL YOUR MB FEATURES.

NO NEED TO SHOUT!

You can manually assign IRQs in the BIOS, or, if you've left the Plug and Play O/S setting to enabled, then Windows will decide which IRQ a piece of hardware gets. It shouldn't make any difference.

Are you sure that the sound card doesn't work because of an inappropriate IRQ, or is it a bad driver? It's usually the latter, but if it's the former, then try a manual assign.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back