Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual IO: map tape drive to client

Status
Not open for further replies.

svnhunix

Technical User
Mar 27, 2008
BE
Hello

I was looking for a way to map the rmt0 (owned by the VIO server) to one of the VIO client lpars.

In the docs I find that it should be possible, but I can't seem to find the procedure.

I tried
mkvdev -vdev /dev/rmt0 -vadapter vhost0 -dev v_rmt
"/dev/rmt0" is not a valid backing device.
but as you see it doesn't work.

Any tips?

best regards
Steven

Hi Steven,

I did the same with cd0 ,It worked. Can you verify rmt0 is available to VIO on which your trying above command.

rmt0 Available 06-08-00-1,0 LVD SCSI 4mm Tape Drive

I also tried the command with rmt0 instead of /dev/rmt0, but it also doesn't work.

virtual tape is only available on very latest VIOS (2.1) and not for all tape devices (only SAS=attached). What level of VIOS are you running? (ioslevel command).

IBM said:
Virtual I/O Server Version 2.1 for AIX 6.1 Release Notes
Support for low function virtual tape

VIOS 2.x supports virtual tape support for SAS attached tape devices. This support does not include all tape functions. Tape libraries, for example, are not supported by virtual tape. Sophisticated error recovery might not be possible on client systems.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back