Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Directory not part of Web App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fusionboy

Programmer
Jul 14, 2003
US
Hi,

I just finished making a web site that has a main site with 3 virtual directories. Everything works great on the development box. I tried yesterday to move the site over to production by copying all the files to that server, and setting up the site in IIS. I read a post about deployment using Visual Studio, but I don't have VS.NET so that's not an option for me.

The main site works, and 2 of the Virtual Directories work fine, but a third seems to not know that it is part of a root site, and seems to reload every time I go to the login page (wait for 15 seconds for the page to come up). Other symptoms include the fact that when I login, I am kicked back out because a Session variable that is being set in the login page (this I confirmed), is no longer in the Session object when I get to the default page of the same virtual directory (login page is in same directory as default).

As I said, everything works fine on the development box, and 3 out of 4 sites work on production. I have uninstalled the site and tried again, restarted IIS, rebooted server, all to no avail.

Banging my head against the wall. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

I think that the problem is in your WebConfig file... check to see if you have set proper values for the cookie name and path to it. (if you want a general login for all 4 sites, the cookie's name must be the same for all - and the domain for it as well)

Thanks for your post DaZZleD!

I see why you would say that, but the problem seems to me to be happening with the virtual directory not knowing it is part of a larger app. For example, from the other 2 virtual directories, I can link to a page in the root dir by /rootpage.aspx. However, in the bad virt dir, /rootpage.aspx would cause it to look in its own directory...

See what I mean? So obviously the cookie will be separate -- it's acting as two separate web sites.

Well, I kept messing around, and suddenly it started working. Then it stopped working again. I guess something is wrong with either the .NET Framework or with the server itself. what a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back