Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual directory, IIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana

MIS
Sep 22, 1999
US
Hi;<br><br>I have created a new Web site in IIS. Within this, I created a virtual directory (abc) that points to a real directory within another web site. A domain name was assigned to the site (e.g. <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> When viewed in a browser, one can see the virtual directory name in the URL (<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> Is there a way to hide the name of the virtual directory from the browser (i.e., the URL would show up as <A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

if you have used html at all in/on your website there is a easy way to do it. if you use html use this tag &lt;a href=&quot;actual site name&quot;&gt;what tag shows&lt;/a&gt;. I hope that I could help you in some way.

It doesn't sound like you really want to add a virtual directoy, but change the default directory of your current site.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm playing around with W2K and IIS5 right now, so that's what these instructions are for.<br><br>To change the default directory of you current site.&nbsp;&nbsp;In MMC select the Web site (most likely &quot;Default Web Site&quot;) and select properties, on the &quot;Home Directory&quot; Tab change the &quot;Local Path&quot; to what ever you like.<br><br>You could also create a new web site, but that can be confusing because I believe you will need either a second IP address or use another Port besides 80.

I figure that you can create links to the site using the internal name, but when you hover over them, the real name shows up in the title bar.<br><br>You could instead point to a local directory, then set up the default page to do an HTTP redirect.<br><br>If your complaint is that the real address shows up then the reader gets to the site:<br><br>You could also make a page with one frame in one frameset.&nbsp;&nbsp;The page displayed is the one containg the frameset definition, but the content is defined in the FRAME tag.&nbsp;&nbsp;This technique limits access to those with frame-capable browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back