Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual directories? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

headrush

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
US
I have a webserver running windows 2003 IIS 6.0 that is running a 3rd party web application. In order for my users to connect to it they have to type in a long url like: I would like to simplify the URL to something like What is the best way to do this? Would I use a virtual directory? All of the files for this application are installed in c:\inetpub\I tried creating a virtual directory but it just takes me to the default page instead of a login screen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use a virtual directory, just change the default page to whatever you want (right click on the virtual directory, then go to the Documents tab, then enter the page you want).

Alternatively you could use http headers to get to a different "web site" altogether. That way you can simply type in "web" instead of "myserver/web", however this will take some DNS modifications too.

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back