Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual catalogue with loaded pages and page turn FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashgordon

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
GB
Hi All

I'm trying to create a virtual catalogue for my company's website.
Similar to this one:

I'm not a beginner on flash and understand how to load movies, create animation, etc but I just can't get to grips with this.
Each 2-page spread has been saved as an SWF and is loaded each time the viewer turns the page, using a variable to determine the SWF to load.
What's difficult is keeping the current page visible as well as using an instance (or several!) of the new page to animate the page turn and the half of the new page you are about to see.
Has anyone done anything like this and can give me some pointers?
I'm getting there but I'm failing to get the new movie to load on the animated section before the animation happens, even though the movie is already loaded into the movie waiting behind.

Thanks
Andy.

Thanks Oldnewbie. I saw that one just after I posted ;)

That is really nice but it doesn't work with dynamically loaded pages, which is what I need to do as each of my pages are quite a size, and there are a lot of them!

I've seen the one for sale at which sounds like it will do the job. But I'd like to try to get it right myself first, even though it's only $25!

I think the problem may be to do with loading an already loaded movie into a mc that already exists on screen. Is this possible?
What I've done so far is:
Loadmovie page1 and call it instance pagea
Copy this into instance pageb so I can replace pagea with the new one (I've repeated the loadmovie command, is this right?)
Have 2 new instances (could get away with just 1 I think) on stage which are used for page flipping (both sides of flipped page) call them flippagea and flippageb
Once the new page is loaded into pagea (preloader triggers) then loadmovie again into flippagea and flippageb and animate.
My new page (pagea) is loading and showing behind the flipped page as it should but the 2 flip page instances are not loading the movies.

I thought about duplicatemovieclip but then can I use the newtarget name and then position them within the FLA? I thought they only existed within memory when the SWF is executed.

Thanks
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back