Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virgin Media rDNS not possible on Cable Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhyscoAustinio

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2011
I've been looking to get a PTR (rDNS) record set up on our Static IP provided by Virgin Media Business so that we can use our Mail server without relying upon Smart Hosts all the time.

So far I've been given various reasons why not, first being that we don't have a Static IP (oh yes we do) - but finally, the most consistent answer is "it's not possible for customers using Cable modems".

Now, call me stupid (nicely, please), but my understanding is that a PTR record points a given IP address to an A Record when queried, and therefore has nothing to do with the means whereby one connects physically to the Internet service.

Are Virgin being entirely unhelpful or is there some truth to this? Should we be looking to switch to ADSL instead? Or is it actually because the "Static" IP address we are paying for is in fact a "Fixed Dynamic" IP address (what the hell is that anyway?)

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back