Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virgin Media hub - no Internet - no network!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nefarious1

Programmer
Feb 24, 2014
GB
Hi -

I have a problem where if I have no internet connection, I cannot access my LAN either. I am using a virgin media hub as my main hub for my LAN. Is there a way to either configure the existing hub so that if there is no internet connection - I can still use the LAN (as in - still use it as a switch / hub for my LAN) or do I need to add a network switch as well and somehow link the 2 together ?

As you will appreciate, its bad enough loosing your internet connection - but when it takes down your network - that's MORE annoying!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

if you connect the cable that goes into the router from your ISP. do you have internet access? It's possible that the providers modem has failed.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Factory default it.

You should have the username and password for the connection.

The Superhubs come pretty much default anyway.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

As Virgin Media (VM) got rid of their DSL service to TalkTalk a while ago, I'm assuming your VM router is one of their cable broadband devices. Many years ago VM used beige Motorola Surfboard modems but due to advancements in DOCSIS standards and upgraded cable network infrastructure, these were replaced, first by re-badged Netgear DG480s - the first of the VM Super Hubs. These were followed by DOCSIS 3.0 re-badged and modified Netgear DG490s a.k.a. Super Hub 2ac. Currently VM supply the DOCSIS 3.0 re-badged DG505 a.k.a. Super Hub 3 (which is free to new customers; existing customers can upgrade for a fee).

The Super Hub range can be remotely diagnosed by VM technical support to determine whether an engineer is needed... so I would suggest your first step would be to give them a call, preferably from a landline on the VM phone service so your customer details are picked up automatically. This will show them your Super Hub's serial no. so they can connect (or try to connect) to the correct cable device on their network.

For info, the ports on the Super Hubs are auto-sensing so, yes, you could add a switch. However, if the DHCP service on your VM modem/router is faulty (as it sounds yours is) then you would need a router, not switch. This should work fine, with a caveat. If you're using a Super Hub 3 then there's a known issue with putting it in 'modem mode' and using a third-party router unless the Super Hub 3 has been remotely updated by VM to the latest firmware.

Note: Don't try to fix the problem yourself, for example by buying a second-hand VM Super Hub 1 or 2 from someone who has upgraded. VM will not activate even VM-badged kit unless it's on their records as having been supplied by them.

You can, however, check the incoming cable connection to the back of the modem/router and the cable/connection to the splitter inside the house that divides the incoming cable connection to modem/router and VM cable TV box. Lastly, check the cable connection on the outside of the house. You should be able to spot the cable coming in from the pavement and the (usually light-gray) plastic box that's used for the first connection split. I've had to re-do the external connection when high winds blew my rubbish bin over, hitting the VM cable going into the external connection box as it toppled.

Hope this helps...

I have a problem where if I have no internet connection,

If you are using Windows Vista or later check that the network 'type' is set to 'Home' or 'Work', as it will default to 'Public' which prevents Internet and LAN access.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back