Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIO servers move to a new HW machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexia32

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
NZ
Hello

We will soon buy a brand new pserie and so move all our lpars (differents p5) to one big box p6 (more IO/CPU).
We will get new machines and retired the old p5.

My question is about the VIO:
I will prepare the new lpar vio on the new p6 machine and then restore the OS VIO but the HW will be different. Does this impact the vscsci mapping etc.. all those things ?

I have done in the past some restore vio but was on the same machine never on a different one with different hw (not sure yet about how many SCSI disks I will have and hopefully should be the same as some or not important ??

Let me know if you had experienced it and what need to be done first or after etc... some nice tips

Cheers
Al

Hi Al,

I remember you have P5 570 isn't? I remember that you have similar configuration as mine (with the exception that i don't use VIO). It happen to be that I too will go throught the same exercise as yours => Upgrading from P5 to P6 in the couple of months to come.

I found a very nice article talking about this i hope you find it a good starting point:

I would really love to communicate with you outside the forum to share our experiences into this period.

I hope the moderator doesn't mind this as i know its not allowed to post email addresses opps (khalidtektip@alayam.com)

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back