Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ViewSonic E70f+ ViewMeter Status: Over? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog243

Technical User
Jun 18, 2004
US
Hi, I have had this PC and monitor for about a year and unfortunately had to format my C: drive after a virus attack. Now whenever I alt tab or close a game program My monitor shows me the "viewmeter", which gives me some numbers and at the bottom says Status: OVER. It then goes into standby mode and I am forced to restart the PC.

I have never had this problem before the format, anyone know what is wrong?

What numbers and headings are displayed by the ViewMeter? I'm wondering if it's trying to tell you that a scan rate, be it vertical and/or horizontal, is out of range...

What OS and what graphics card are you using?

I have a GeForce FX5600 and am running XP pro. I will get the numbers a little later (since I have to restart in order to see them). I think it might have something to do with the different resolutions (game runs at one that is different than my standard windows res). I just don't get why this never happened before.

Different video drivers, I suspect, or the monitor is not defined in Display properties?. What version nVidia drivers you running now vs. before format?

Updating my drivers was the first thing I did after the format. The display properties recognizes the monitor but I am now experiencing some unrelated problems. Maybe some of my hardware is going bad.

ok, I have the same problem as you did in june, I am getting the " Status: Over" on my ViewSonic E70f+ ViewMeter . How did you resolve the problem? It doesn't say on this post board... Except my problem starts just after windows xp loads.....any tips?

Im having the same problem, installed the monitor drivers and its a totally new graphics card.

graphics card: nvidia 6600gt OC...yes, its overclocked...it came that way.

Windows XP

It just turns off and every now and then it will show the status: over

Please heeeelp!

It can be that WinXP incorrectly identifies the monitor, then tries to give the "best timings" which are usually the fastest that it can give, and so drives the monitor outside of its range. Since your new video card can drive at even higher sync frequencies, so does XP uses it at will.
I had a similar bug with an NEC monitor.
Can you try booting the system without the monitor attached, then connecting it. Without any monitor, WinXP may try to drive a generic monitor instead, with more conservative timings.
You may want to check if Viewsonic has a driver. Driver is a big word for it, as what it would do is give to Windows a timing table for its line of products.

i installed a driver for the monitor, still did it. I took my computer back to a restore point like two months ago thinking that would fix it if it had something to do with drivers. Ill try that monitor suggestion.

I got some numbers the last time it did this:

Sorry I didnt get the actual frequencies, it turned off before i had a chance to write it all down.

I think, with the help of felixc, I figured out how to fix my monitor. Please tell me if this would be the problem.

My old video card wasnt made for flat panel monitors. My new one, has to have the adaptor so my crt monitor can be plugged in. OK, so, the display timing modes was set to windows auto-detect. I then switched it to DMT (Discrete Monitor Timing)

Dont know if this will work yet, as it would work every now and then...only time will tell. But i would appreciate any suggestions on a better monitor timing setting or what you think of this solution.

What is the model of your monitor? The numbers on your OSD suggest something like 100.1KHz horizontal and 91Hz vertical. I remember my NEC monitor was driven at 120Hz vertical, and this was out of its specs. Like yours, it happened when an app was working at a different resolution.
If you can set the timings manually (DMT), it would possibly do the trick. About the monitor losing its sync when apps like games are forcing a change of resolution. I don't know if the DMT mode keeps a sync table for different resolution settings. Please keep us informed, this is good data for the forum.

monitor model is a ViewSonic E90fb

So far so good with the change.

Still not working, had a couple days and its started again. Help me

I havent done anything but the usual. I was running a game in windowed mode, but changed it to full screen. It hasnt messed up today, but that doesnt mean its fixed. I play World of Warcraft and thats about all I do on this, that and browse the web.

Another thing I did notice last night or the last time it did it..just before my computer crashed, my mouse (duel optical logitech mouse) turned off and back on. Weird. It was maybe 2 mins and then my monitor turned off and same as before.

You mean sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it does not? It is not repeatable?

Does Windows detect the monitor as being the right model?

Never seen this here with WoW. If you configure it at a different resolution, is it doing the same bug?

I assume that you have all the antivirus and spyware protections. I remember of a system losing the mouse and crashing at the browser because of spyware.

Yesterday, I played WoW for a very long time. It worked fine the whole time. Then, I come out to my desktop and like 5 mins later, the monitor turns off as said above. Yes, windows knows its a Viewsonic E90fb. I have nortons antivirus and firewall, so shouldnt be a virus.

When the display is okay, what does the OSD tell about the frequencies? It is the Viewmeter in the OSD menu of my E790 monitor.

OK, my computer wont even start up now....

Im on my laptop.

OK, I play wow all day yesterday, worked fine. Then, I go to desktop and like 30 seconds later...crash. The monitor did give me some info when it crashed last time.

Here is the info the monitor was reading out:

User Mode 15

FH 00.1 Khz

FV 81 Hz

Status Over

-----------------------

User Mode 15

00.1 Khz

75 Hz

Status Over

-----------------------

User Mode 15

00.0 Khz

107.0 Hz

Status Over

It kept giving me different numbers for the frequencies.

Now, when i turn on the computer it just sits there thinking for about 30 seconds and the monitor doesnt turn on.

This is nuts...and very frustrating... :(

P.S. Normal for my monitor was around a 60 on both sides for frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back