Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing systemmailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagwa

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
GB
I want to be able to view the systemmailbox from my adminastrators account, but despite setting permissions for myself to have full control and trying to add the mailbox to my exchange settings I am unable to open up the folders to see what error messages are being sent. Does any one know how to do this, or is there another way that I can check the contents of the systemmailbox/postmaster account
Many Thanks
Stuart Robinson

Is the systemmailbox the postmaster mailbox? I didn't think so, I setup a separate mailbox for Postmaster, then have those sent to my mailbox (actually, I just setup a second mailbox on my account and named it postmaster).

I seem to recall warnings about openign the systemmailbox? I'd proceed cautiously. I think there were several steps you had to go through to gain access to it.

Dave

Thanks, you're right I don't necessary want to read the systemmailbox (and after reading the knowledge base article I see that it is not an easy thing to do any way). What I am trying to do is view the mal that comes in as undeliverable so that I can ensure it gets to the intended recipient (we are a very small educational facility). In exchange 5.5 I could open the administator account and look at all the undelivered mail and re-send it, but can't work out how to do this with 2000. I do have access to the postmaster account but nothing is appearing in the inbox despite deliberately sending undeliverable mail and recieving notification of this back again. Where is this mail ending up and how Do I get to it?
Thanks
Stuart

Stuart,

The mail that comes in with a bad e-mail address is placed in the "root":\exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\BadMail folder.

I'm sure there's a fancier way, but I just look at each of them with Notepad, the to: address is usually right up near the top of the message, even if it's html format.

Dave

Here is how to get the Undeliverable mails:

Open Microsoft Exchange System Manager -> Expand Servers expand ServerName (where ServerName is the name of the server) -> expand the Protocols -> expand SMTP -> Right click on the Default SMTP VIrtual Server -> Properties -> Messages -> In the Send copy of Non-Delivery Report to box type the email address that you want to receive all NDRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back