Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing reports with goblygook text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muwati

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Can anyone help?

When we preview our reports (using ActiveX), some of the text is being displayed in goblygook and the rest of it normally. We are using Enterprise, Analysis and Reports 9.0.

Has anyone come across this before?

Muwati

Sounds like you might a font issue, try changing the font in the report.

If that fails, try posting an example of your goblygook, it's source (text field, database field, or ?), and where it's being displayed.

-k

I don't know the software, but could it be a mix of ASCII and EBCDIC? These use totally different binary numbers to represent letters.

Even ASCII from different users will use different codes for some punctuation marks and accented letters.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Thanks all for your help.

Forgot to mention (and this is the strange thing), that some users can view the reports quite perfectly - either on IE 6.0 or IE 5.5. However, some users (when viewing with IE 6.0) still get the strange looking gooblygook.

I have even removed Crystal Enterprise, Analysis, and Reports 9.0 and reloaded the software and still the same problem occurs.

I have even tried republishing the reports but the same problem occurs. Madawac - can you throw some further light on the ASCI characters?

Getting desperate here for some answers!!

This wouldn't be EBCDIC related if some users view them normally.

Since you didn't respond to my suggestion nor any of the information I asked for, I can't really help.

-k

ASCII began as a paper tape code, with 7 rows standing for 0 or 1. This was translated into 128 variants on 8-bit bytes. Different computer manufacturers used the extra 128 possible codes in differing ways. This means the occasional odd or unreadable character, it happens with web postings. But numbers and unaccented letters will always be fine.

The difference between ASCII and EBCDIC also matters when you are sorting alphanumeric values. ASCII and most PCs put numbers first, while EBCDIC puts numbers after letters. If you were indexing SF books, say, 1984 and 2001 might come at the start or end, depending.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back