Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing printers remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdogg

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
Background:
In our environment, we typically add network printers locally on each PC choosing "Add a local printer" and creating a "Standard TCP/IP Port" in the add printer wizard. The reason is that every user logging onto the PC will have the same printers listed. If you add printers using the network option, each user has to repeat the same action (very tedious) and it's harder to manage queues.

Problem:
So the problem I'm having has to do with PC's running Windows 7. In the past on an XP machine, I could type \\computername and see the Printers and Faxes folder. Within that folder, I had the option of adding printers remotely without having to disturb the user that's currently using the workstation. However, when I attempt to do this on a Win7 box, I don't see the printers folder being shared.

What I've tried:
On the Win7 box, I've gone into advanced sharing settings turning on "network discovery", "file and printer sharing", and "public folder sharing" and rebooted. Now I'm able to see "scheduled tasks" like I do on XP machines, but I still don't see a printers folder.

I'm hoping by now someone has come across this and found a solution?
[ponder]

-Carl
"Windows has detected you do not have a keyboard. Press 'F9" to continue."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

If you type in your \\computername command in Windows 7 and on the resulting page across the top of it do you see a heading "View Remote Printers". If you click on that does it take you anywhere?

Sorry if I am completely misunderstanding your question.

Thanks linney. I wish it were something simple too. Unfortunately it appears to be a permissions issue of some kind.

The PC I'm on is running XP. When I connect to another PC running XP using the UNC path, it shows me two items - Scheduled Tasks and Printers and Faxes. No problems there. If I then connect to a PC running Win7 also using the UNC path, there are no items listed. The "View Remote Printers" option you're talking about only appears when connecting from Win7 to Win7. Even when I try connecting that way and click on it, it still shows up blank.

Now some Windows 7 computers are showing up fine, meaning I can both add and view printers from my main XP box. I've tried comparing those to the ones I'm having trouble with but so far can't figure out what the difference is. We have a corporate image we use for 32-bit and 64-bit installs of Windows 7, so the default settings should all be the same right after being imaged.

-Carl

permission levels between Win7 and WinXP are quite different.

Have you considered running your office in a domain based eviroment rather than a work group?

A small SBS server will sort your printer pain, dealing with all your file and print.

the other option is something like a QNAP NAS - it is a nice way to centralise your files etc and also deals with printers and even set it up as an LDAP authentication server.

there are plenty of options, but I would consider centralising your network.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Does this offer any clues to you?

XP machine cannot see Windows 7 machine, same network
thread1726-1620096

Sorry, I should have mentioned it before. We are in a domain environment with over 9000 client workstations. 99% are still using XP Pro. We do have a print server that we are constantly adding networked printers to, but with over 20 different campuses, that's been a slow process.

Since the healthcare environment I work in is so widespread, often times I find myself working on a workstation that I don't have physical access to. Instead of contacting the user and using Dameware to connect, I prefer to use non-intrusive methods when possible. Adding printers is a routine request that needs to be non-intrusive!

I have no issues connecting to the Win7 PC's C: drive using the hidden share \\computername\c$. That works on every PC in our environment. The only flaky issue I'm having is trying to remotely add printers using the method I described in earlier posts. Some Win7 PC's work the old way, some don't.

-Carl

see if the difference has to do with the "Network discovery" setting in Windows 7...

also check if IPv6 is enabled/disabled, as some older ROUTERS and Switches do not play nice with IPv6 enabled...

also are you always on the same XP box when you access the Win7 boxes?

just some thoughts...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks Ben. I will look into IPv6 and try disabling it. Unfortunately turning on network discovery, file and printer sharing, and even public folder sharing has not helped.

And yes, I'm always connecting from the same XP box. I have tried connecting from a Win7 box as well but with the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back