Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing POD Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

Can someone recommend a decent POD file viewer, I'm trying to create a POD document for the Catalyst Advent but I seem unable to check it.

If I use perldoc, none of the headings show, the formatting is awful and doesn't show like CPAN does.

How can I view a POD document with the correct formatting such as headings (=head1 My Title), like it displays on CPAN?

Thanks.
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Hi

Not sure what is your actual goal. Maybe one of these :
[ul]
[li][tt]PAGER='less -R' perldoc file.pod[/tt] - As [tt]perldoc[/tt] formats with ANSI escape sequences, you have to tell that to the pager too. ( Supposing your pager is [tt]less[/tt]. )[/li]
[li][tt]pod2html file.pod | lynx -stdin[/tt] - This is closer to what you see on CPAN, but not sure how much it helps you.[/li]
[/ul]

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

Hi feherke,

Not sure what is your actual goal.
I've been asked by the Catalyst community to put together a POD for their Advent, I simply wanted to view it as I put it together to see how it will be displayed, so I get a feel for the formatting it will eventually look like.

I have found that I had an error (forgot to close a list item with =back) using podchecker, so at least I can now see my actual heading, but it's still basic when simply viewed using perldoc in a bash shell.

Though I have now found this :
Which hopefully will give me a 'Perl Advent' type view, if not I'll give pod2html a go.

Regards,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back