Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing Plain Text Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyj2

Programmer
Jun 7, 2007
US
Hi,
I'm in the process of creating some automated emails. I want to do it in HTML. In my company, the majority of my colleagues can accept an HTML format, but there's a handful that accept Plain Text only.

I want to see how my HTML email will look in Plain Text. I tried using telnet to view my test gmail account all to no avail (I couldn't connect.)

Does anyone have a way that I can view my email in Plain Text format? Most of the stuff on the Internet tells you how to SEND a plain text email, but that's not really my goal right now.

Thanks in advance.

mickeyj2

In outlook 2003 it is Tools - Options, Preferences Tab, E-Mail Options, tick "Read all standard mail in plain text" box. Apply and done.

Most mail readers can be told to convert all mail to plain text in their options settings, and this is actually a very good way (albeit annoying these days) to keep yourself from getting scripted, etc....

If you're on a linux box you can read your mail right from the command prompt by simply typing 'mail'. Navigation can be fun, but you'll get to see the message from the perspective of someone who can't read HTML - garbage and all.

When I send out mail to groups of folks that are mixed as to what kind of machine they may be on or what kind of mail they can read I generally send my mail in "dual" format. If they can't see HTML it will show them the plain text version of the message, otherwise they will see the HTML version.

Hi donb01,

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

I'll try looking at this mail in Outlook as plain text and re-address defaulting my mails to plain text for users who can't read HTML.

Thanks again for your help.

mickeyj2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back