Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View XP directories from linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsul

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2002
BE
I am dual booting Windows XP and Linux Red Hat and would like to see the XP partions from Linux . How can i do this ? I don't think it is mount cos I am only able to mount the cd and floppy.

thanks

First, locate the XP partition(s). Use '[tt]fdisk -l[/tt]' to list all your partitions. Whichever one(s) are of type NTFS, that's XP.

For each one of type NTFS, do a '[tt]mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp -t ntfs[/tt]'.
NOTE: replace /dev/hda1 with your actual XP partition, and replace /mnt/winxp with where you want it mounted (I use /mnt/winxp for the system partition/C:, and windocs for the Documents and Settings directory located on a second hard drive).

If you get a 'filesystem not supported' type error, it means your kernel was compiled without NTFS support. There's a pile of posts and howto's related to compiling your kernel, so I won't go into it here. Just hit and have at it :)

----
JBR

Hold your horses, no need to go and recompile your kernel.
Go to download the rpm for your distro and follow the instructions.
Only if this fails you may need to recompile your kernel.

He was sitting on a rock. He was barefoot. His feet were frosty with ice-nine .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back