Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

view workgroup computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron37

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
Hello,
I'm running xp pro and have connected to a network. The network works fine except that I can't see the other computers on the network when I go to network neighborhood, view workgroup computers. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A.Davis

A little more info about your network topology might be helpful. Do the other computers show up if you wait long enough?

they don't show up at all. I can get on the intranet with it though. The other computers show up in the other xp computers.

Thanks,

A.DAvis

You still haven't explained the network. Is there an actual server or is this a peer to peer workgroup setup? How are you connected to the internet. Are there any other os's besides winxp?

The other computers show up in the other xp computers. ????? Does this mean there are other xp computers that are functioning correctly on the same network?

Aaron37,
Are your workgroup settings correct? Make sure your workgroup name is the same. For earlier versions of Windows, the workgroup name is WORKGROUP. For Windows XP, its MSHOME. In order for them to see each other, you have to give it the same workgroup name. Make all the workgroup names MSHOME and you should be able to see it. Also, are there shared folders on these machines?

There are 8 computers on the network. 7 run on Xp, 1 on 2000 professional. There is no actual server. We have dsl which runs through a router. All of the computers can see all of the other computers except for one. All of the computers can browse the intranet and print. The only problem is that the 1 xp computer can't see the others on the network. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

A.Davis

Thanks for your help so far. The workgroup is named correctly and there are no shared folders. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back