Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View Windows Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrou82

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
US
I have read in this forum before, that I am able to view windows partitions. I am well aware that I most likely cannot write to those files, but i am def. able to read from them.

I have a dual boot (winXP/RH Linux 7.2) machine, with an extra hard drive (with 4 NTFS Partitions) that i use to store all the data. I want to mainly be able to access these files that I have stored on the additional hard drive. In windoze i can obviously view read/write/delete these files, but how can i do the same in Linux.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with mounting the partition, but fdisk didn't help in telling me which partition it is. I am assuming this is because i dont really know the correct syntax for the fdisk command.

Also i was wondering is there any free or cheap VMware software out there. I want to be able to use xp within linux and vice versa.

If anyone can help, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Sorry, wrong forum on that last message.

The correct command for fdisk is "fdisk /dev/hda", but you must replace /dev/hda with the correct device of the drive with the 4 NT partitions.

/dev/hda = pri master
/dev/hdb = pri slave
/dev/hdc = sec master
/dev/hdd = sec slave

Use "p" in fdisk to see the partition table. You will see the device numbers of the various partitions, probably something like /dev/hdc1 - /dev/hdc4.

So now, to mount one. Create a directory somewhere that will be the mount point of the partition. It doesn't matter where, but it should be an empty directory. Maybe /ntfs/hd1 for the first partition, etc.

For each of the 4 devices, you must mount it, e.g.:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc1 /ntfs/hd1

(That's &quot;mount -t <type> <device> <dir>&quot;). If you want to always mount these drives when you boot into Linux, add them to your /etc/fstab file. You should be able to figure it out. Type &quot;mount -h&quot; for more help.

Thank you I will try that. Just a quick question, the process you mentioned will allow me access to the files, but will i be able to read and/or write to these files?

You should be able to read and write, as long as you get the mount settings correct, and the permissions on your NTFS volume are set appropriately.

Writing to ntfs partitions is still experimental, AFIK. You are risking your entire partitions! If you want to safely write to them using Linux, you'll have to format them as FAT32. You'll lose the security of ntfs, but dems' the breaks.

Have you been writing to your ntfs partitions yet?

First of all, you'll have to compile your kernel to read NTFS. It's not enable by default. It's not terribly difficult to recompile your kernel. Once you recompile and running on your updated kernel, all you have to do is mount the ntfs partition. Knowledge is Power......

just to enable NTFS partitions do i have to recompile whole of the kernel or is there any short way of doing this

I had to recompile my whole kernel. But it really wasn't that hard. I think had a tutorial on it. Pretty much, once you load the kernel config menu, you go through and select all the options you want and save it. then you run a simple command that compiles it. Compiling can take 4 or 5 minutes or longer on a slower machine. Once it's compiled, you run another command I believe. Then you update your lilo config file to point to the new kernel, and reboot. Then your good to go. As a side note, it did take me a few times of recompiling the kernel to get everthing to work the way I wanted, but it's a good learning experience. However, I did get NTFS to work on the first try.

Good luck! Knowledge is Power......

Does anyone have experience with a Lunux boot, then WINE or a DOS EMU or something like that then running a DOS anti-virus like F-Prot to clean up an NTFS that is infected? ? ?

As many NTFS systems have no DOS boot, and once Windows is 'running' then some viruses are impossible to completely eradicate.

I've been slowly chasing that one all this millenium. DR-DOS was too awkward.

J

Here is an extreme solution:
remove the infected hard drive and put it in a different pc as a slave. You will then have complete access to any file on it. If you know where the file resides, just delete it.

BTW, what virus is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back