Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View USB Stick contents on remote computer with Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtekie

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
US
Hello All! I am a network admin for a large school system. We have been asked to allow students to bring in usb sticks with homework, etc so they can contiue on any work done outside the schools. We are running Windows XP SP2 on all workstations. What I want to know is how can I view what a student has in his/her usb stick from remote access such as: My Computer, manage, connect to another computer, "put computer name here', storage, then Disk Management. I can see the USB Stick as a listed drive, but the option to browse the contents is not an option. I mean browse by using the \\computername\driveletter method. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I want to be sure these little darlings are not bringing in anything they shouldn't YEAH RIGHT!! :)
Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks to all in advance!

Just install VNC on each computer so you can remote into each PC and remote control it just as if you were sitting in the student's chair.

I don't think you can do what you requested because every computer would have to be set up to share each memory stick that is inserted in it in order to browse like \\computername\driveletter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back