Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View to display Rich Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFC

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
AU
We are currently designing a view and cannot display a field that is formatted as rich text.
Have tried a few things including the @abstract command but cannot get it to work.
Any solutions?
Many thanks
John

I dont think we can display the rich text field in a view,unless we only want to show any symbol for attachment
in the rich text field.

Richard...

Before R6 (just went gold) what you want to do is impossible directly. I think even R6 can only display images and not all the text, but I may be wrong.

What you could eventually do is use the QuerySave event to extract the text from the rich text field with the GetFormattedText method of the NotesRichText field, but in essence it gets down to making a second copy of something that is already there, plus you lose all formatting.

The real question is : why do you want to display what is in the rich text field ?
You should rethink your form and propose enough fields to categorize important information so that the user knows for sure what doc to open to get to the nitty gritty.

rich test fields are never appers at the view. and it is an advantage because it will make the view heavy if it were.
so rebuild your think actually not the view.. and you will find another way

I had a similar situation , when i wanted to convert the rich text to pure html and pull it out via a view.

my solution was the following:
- In the rich-text field properties, i turned on the option: save as MIME and HTML.
- created a hidden textfield .
- On save, replaced the value of the hidden textfield with the one from the rich-text field.
- In the view i referred to hidden textfield to take out the data.

In your case, if you do not want the rich text formatting, you can probably filter out tags using the implode and explode functions.

Good luck,
Meco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back