Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View the contents of an unsigned char* in Visual debugger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazeing

Programmer
Nov 22, 2004
US
I'm trying to view the contents of an unsigned char* in the debugger to determine where extra bytes are being randomly injected into data begin received from a socket from a Java client.

If I try to view the array contents, I only get the first character or I can see the contents up until the first \0. I'm trying to debug what's happening to my JFIF file which is over 14,000 bytes long and the random characters start getting injected about 30 characters in, but there is a \0 in front of the 30th character so I can't see that far into the array.

Is there a switch somewhere that needs to be flipped to be able to view the contents of the entire array?

I'm currently writing the file to disk (that's how I've detected the addition characters), but I'm trying to figure out where the characters are getting injected.

You can use the memory window. Get the address of the beginning of the array and paste or type it into the memory window, then you will see as much of the array as you like.

Alternative method. If say, the unsigned char* is puc, you could put

puc+30,40

In the watch window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back