Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View SQL Error log without Enterprise Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacbmac

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2006
US
Hello,

I have an office where they had a power supply failure and possibly a NIC issue. They resolved the issues, but now SQL is acting strange.

After opening SQL Enterprise manager I can expand the tree until it comes to databases, management, etc. When attempting to open each of those folders it will hang forever and will not open.

I try to open SQL query analyzer and although it gives connections errors I am still able to query some databases (some databases I can not query).

I want to look at the SQL error logs to see if it gives any information, but without access to the management folder I am unable to view the logs.

IS there any way to query them or are they sitting in .log files somewhere?

Look for the ERRORLOG file. It is in "C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Log" by default. The file without a file extension is the current log. The .1 is the next oldest, the .2 is the next oldest, etc.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back