Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View Files In Restore Archives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Technical User
Sep 14, 2003
US
I'm working on a friend's HP Pavillion 8754C computer running WinME. It has a 30G HD and 192M of RAM. The CPU is an 800MHz P IIIE. I'm not very familiar with ME. I'm wondering if there are any search tools which allow you to look inside the archives and selectively fetch files. I'm trying to see if there might be any additional photos archived in there which are no longer present in C:\. I have extracted all photos present on C: to CDs. The plan is to eventually reformat and install a fresh OS on this drive. BTW there is a rather bloated C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE on this machine, with some 7.6+ G of files. I have no idea how far back in time the archived files go. There's a lot of bloat on the HD in general, with only about 50 percent of it still free.

If you're talking about system restore archive, there won't be any photos in there. It keeps details of the system state at a particular time - doesn't save user data.

The 7.6GB+ of space is actually several copies of the same thing. Under the System Restore settings, you can specify how much space on your drive it can use, which directly affects the number of backups it will store. That space you saw is filled with several.

And like wolluf pointed out, it does not backup personal data - only system files/settings.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back