Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View files from another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I have a storage server(NAS) within my domain. it contains nothing but pdf files. I am trying to build a form that will show all the files listed and I want them available for download. I know I need to use the FSO but how do I connect to that other server within my form? If I give aspnet account access to that server will that be enough?

any help or examples would be appreciated

thanks

Dim strServer As String = "//Servername/Folder"
Dim DirInfo As DirectoryInfo

DirInfo = New DirectoryInfo(Server.MapPath(strServer))

How do I redirect strServer to a server on my domain?

I set a virtual directory on my IIS Server pointing to the other servers shared directory. But I need to test this and am getting an error "Expecting virtual path" I know this has to do with me running this on my local machine. how do I get around this?

Thanks

Can you actually map the drive on the server to the file server's share? Then maybe you could use the drive letter of the mapped path when creating the FSO?

I would rather let IIS do the redirect. I donot want to map this as a drive letter if possible.

You don't need to map a drive. If you have permissions set up correctly, you can simply provide the full path to the file as you originally did (you then used Server.MapPath which was incorrect as that will return the base folder of your application and therefore has nothing to do with the path to the network drive).

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Yes I know I changed that to

Dim strServer As String = "\\ServerName\Shared"
Dim DirInfo As DirectoryInfo

DirInfo = New DirectoryInfo(strServer)

Now I get Bad user name or password. I am trying to connect from localhost my web server since I need to test this first. I am signed onto the domain and added Domain Users, my Signon and even IUSERS_(Not exact) and no matter what I get bad user name or password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back