Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View Excel and Word Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

togatown

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US
I have a customer who wants to allow their client to view all Excel and Word docs in a set of folders in the browser in a read only format without exposing any formulas or structure of the files.

I toyed with the idea of a PDF document converter component but have not found anything that is reasonably priced. The problem with the PDF conveter is that if the file is wider than one page, it will break to the next page and I would prefer smooth scrolling.

Two reasons right of the top:

1) ALL Word and Excel files in a set of folders. We are talking thousands of files.

2) Anyone can recover a password from Word or Excel simply and quickly. There is no encryption of the file itself only of the password and I've never encountered and file yet I haven't been able to crack in les than 15 seconds.

you can do a adod.connection on the excel files and hisde it's original formulas etc easily, as for the word docs i'll have to chew on that one mentally for a bit.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert
if all else fails, light it on fire and do the happy dance!
" I always think outside the 'box', because I'm never inside the 'loop' " - DreX 2005

wow i must have been typing with a sledge hammer this morning ... rephrasing what i said earlier :

you can do an adodb.connection to excel files and use it as a datasource and output to excel format in page hecen stripping formulas and only outputting plain data. look under GetRows() functionality of the adodb object and the connectivity settings for excel files.

as for the word issue, chewed on it a bit, currently looking into possible SSO calls that can be made to use word's built in "export to html" utils, hence stripping the inner workings of the word docs... if this can be done, both methods retain your file security and proprietary items ( functions etc ) within those files as well.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert
" I always think outside the 'box', because I'm never inside the 'loop' " - DreX 2005

Possibilities:

**** **** (written for WSH in XML/VB, might be quickly convertable)
found a few more just hit google for: convert word to html with asp

this is based on .net, but you might be able to scrape part of the methodology off it and use in plain asp :

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back