Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View entire hard disk over workgroup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4mule

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
AU
hi,
I have a small workgroup network all running xp pro and I want to share the entire contents of one machine over the network.
Normal share doesnt give permission for the WINDOWS, Programe files and the users documents directories.
Ive tried mapping the network drive and using the computer I am connecting to's admin username and password, although Im not sure Im putting it in correctly (have tired COMPUTERNAME\Administrator, Administrator.COMPUTERNAME and just plain old Administrator). But all have the same results.

Any help would be most appreciate.

Nick

Try disabling simplified sharing (folder options, view tab, last option). If you use different username/passwords on the different machines, you will be prompted for username/password when attempting to connect to a share (unless you set up ALL users on all machines) - though you can save these details for only prompted first time.

thanks... didnt even know that it existed... Its hard setting up stupid home networks when all u do all day is active dir... but enough rant thanks again I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back