Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View and monitor emails from exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

blure007

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2005
US
We are on Exchange 2000 and I need to find a way to view and monitor email activity from some users. I can see them being sent in the Message Tracking Center but not the contents of the email. Any idea? We are also willing to buy 3rd party software if needed.

One free option and one not free...

Free: Enable "Archive all messages" option on the mail store in ESM. This will capture all mail from all users.

Not Free: Get GFI Mail Essentials. It can syphon off copies of inbound and outbound mail for one or many users.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

another option, in the exchange options for the accounts you want to monitor, set up to forward to another account, and deliver the message.

I tried to create a rule using the person's outlook to CC the admin mailbox on everything they sent out. Also, setup to forward a copy of all incoming emails to the admin account. Only problem was that everyone in the company used "read receipts" and they wanted to know why they were getting read receipts on all the emails they sent her and why admin was getting CC'ed.

I'm going to try the archive all message suggestion and hope their are no read receipts.

Make sure that when you open the Admin mailbox, that you turn off automatic replies to read receipts in your outlook properties.

Tools > Options > Preferences Tab > E-Mail Options Button > Tracking Options Button > Never Send a Response Option.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

FIrst of all, are these users aware you are going to monitor? Did the sign a policy that your company may do so? Are you covered, IN WRITING, by your superiors to do this?
If not, a user can sue you for violation of privacy, as sad as it may be.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

MARCS41 is totally right! DO THAT FIRST. The rest is not that complex. I personally ran in the same situation and luckily I did have the policy but user did not read carefully and so the case dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back