Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VideoConferencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelAd

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2006
US
Hey guys.. currently I am working on a Meridian 1 Option 11C to setup Video Conferencing, can you help me determine what are the needed hardware for setting up Video Conferencing Equipment. My current Option 11C is not upgraded yet to VOIP. Thank you in advance.

If you are going to set up Video Conferencing on the Option 11, the first thing to do, I think, is to confirm if you mean audio conferencing, or if you are trying to find picture phones, or if you are going to surprise all of us

Desktop video is generally not going to require the phones for anything other than phone calls

Am I missing something?

~
Gene of ~

I am not sure how will I explain this but I do not have any background on this and my employer just ask me to setup this equipment that is why I ask of you guys how will I go into configuring this device on my Option 11. Like for example, how will I configure on my existing system the Polycom VSX 7000 or do I need to have and additional hardware like SISP-BRI card. Sorry if I confuse you on this but any information you can provide is highly appreciated sir. :)

I'll try and help you out here.
Check first you have the 'Licences' in overlay 22
i.e.
LD 22
REQ SLT

You are looking for BRI DSL's usually switch comes with
these depending on the Release of your switch ?

If you have BRI DSL's then you will reqiure the BRI ISDN2
hardware being:

SILC Card (8 DSL's Per Card) x 4 wire/RJ45 Type
MISP Card (ISDN Controller)

Then the Configuration/Data Fill to provide the BRIL (Line)
connected to the ISDN Phone/Video Conf Unit

Thread 798-1006738 - responses by MIKEYB123 will help
you a lot

Good Luck !!

I don't have BRI DSL, my system is not yet upgraded to VOIP but part of the project is to upgrade then move in setting up the equipment. What are other hardware will I be needing?.. (E1 PRI card, Memory Card and Voice Media Card.. will I be needing SISP-BRI or SILC Card and MISP Card)

Can you tell us what video conferencing means to you in your situation. In other words, do you mean at each (or many) persons desk... or do you mean one bigger system in a certain conference room with a big screen TV or projection unit with cameras that point to the people in the room.

I ask because you can install a video conferencing system without connecting to your phone system at all.

The Meridian BRI feature will save you the cost of obtaining BRI lines from the telephone company. However, you will probably be limited to 384 - 512kb/s. BRI is becoming less common and people are often connecting a PRI directly to the video system, or they are connecting it to the Internet, with just an IP address as the way to contact the system.

You might want to view video conferencing as a project that has zero dependence on your phone system.

~
Gene of ~

Hey Gene.. I was not able to go online for few days anyway sorry for the confusion, what I mean is the video conferencing equipment that will be setup in a conference room, the one that have LCD/TV or projection unit with cameras. So you mean that I can get any video conferencing equipment without hooking or configuring/upgrading to VOIP my current system at all? Thank you..

VoIP (in a basic form) will let you do voice calls or connect telephones over a TCPIP network. TCPIP is a "connectionless" transport where the actual device determines the connection, not the wire. You can plug the phone in anywhere and it will be your extension

Regalar phone networks have a specific set of wires that define the address of the phone. Your phone will only work right at your jack.

Video Conferencing is as simple as you and I can see each other because each of us has a camera and TV and a "box" that can connect to either three "combined" ISDN BRI 128kb/s lines, or one high-capacity T-1/PRI 1.54MB/s line. We called each other over the ISDN or T1/PRI line.

We can talk to each other over the spare phone in the conference room, or our cell phones for that matter. The benefit of video is I see you and we can show each other documents or butts or whatever we want.

VoIP or the Option 11 have not come into this project.

~
Gene of ~

Thanks Gene, so I can get the a conference equipment and just connect with either ISDN BRI 128kb/s lines, or one high-capacity T-1/PRI 1.54MB/s line and that's it?. :)

That is all ya need -- spend some time at , for example, looking at the components, datasheets and manuals

[sup]Gene of[/sup]
TEKIMG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back