Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmanuelab

Programmer
Dec 30, 2004
US
i want to add a video in my html web page but i can't find a tag for it

Video isn't part of the HTML standard. You can provide a href that links to the video file -- and when the user clicks on it, whatever local configurations for playing video will happen regardless. If they wanted they could right-click and save the file locally to view offline.

Remember that this could lead to some heavy bandwidth consumption -- best check your ISP won't choke first (just a suggestion).

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

You could try looking into the Object and Embed tags... or even consider using Flash.

However, as Jeff says, video is not part of the HTML spec, so you have to rely on each computer having some sort of player software installed (such as Quicktime, Windows Media Player, etc).

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Flash is a good option.
If you have Flash MX or above then it employs Sorrensen encoding (which is pretty good).
Also you can be fairly confident that users will have the flash player and/or know that it's easy to get and install.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back