Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video to DVD+R

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittywes38

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
US
I have copied VHS to DVD+R and after the copy is over the DVD plays on the DVD player that I used to do the copy but when taking the same DVD and inputting it in a DVD player on the desktop or laptop computer it will not play but in fact indicated there is no DVD in the drive. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Smitty

Several:

1, DVD may not be finalized...

2. you may not be using the correct app to play the DVD...

3. you may be missing codecs to play the media...

4. the Standalone DVD player may be using a proprietary filesystem, not readable on your PC...

Things you could attempt:

Try VLC to play your DVD+r.
Install a CODEC Pack, such as the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

Question:

and last but not least, is it possible to navigate the DVD?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

It sounds like you may have just copied a video file straight to the DVD without properly converting it first (i.e. maybe it's still in the .AVI or .MPG format). The video needs to be in the correct format on the DVD containing .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files in a folder called VIDEO_TS. If it's not, then most standalone DVD players are not going to be able to play it.

It would also help to know what application you used to burn the DVD.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

cdogg, he said he recorded from a vhs, I would think with a combo vhs/dvd recorder. There is no indication of a computer used for the recording. That would mean there is no avi or mpeg files, as it is analog to digital internal conversion and the vob and associated files are created on the fly. Also many of the newer (last 3-4 years) dvd set top players will play native avi,mpeg,and even some dvix/xvid files with no conversion necessary. My Samsung will anyways. Also he is having problems playing it back on a desktop and a laptop, not a set top box.

I agree with Ben, if you are using windows media player, it will not play dvd's unless you have a pretty new version. Native player from xp will not play dvd's. VLC is okay, I also like MPCStar. Slick little player,and file conversion in a free download.

rclarke250 said:
Also many of the newer (last 3-4 years) dvd set top players will play native avi,mpeg,and even some dvix/xvid files with no conversion necessary.

Although there are "some" brands out there like Philips and Apex that make an effort to include native compatibility, most brands/models still do not. I have a Sony DVD player, two Philips DVD players, a Toshiba, and a brand new Samsung Blu-Ray player that are all less than 3 years old. Only both of the Philips players can play AVI, MPEG, and DIVX.

Regardless, I understand your point. I apparently missed the "hint" in the original post that this was copied using a set-top DVD/VHS recorder.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back