Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video stutters but audio OK 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPB

Technical User
Jun 29, 2002
US
Hello,

I re-installed Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago, but just noticed this problem: Video stops then starts, then stops (stutters), but the Audio keeps playing. This is true for local video (hard drive) and streaming video (YouTube) no matter what file format. I notice that different videos takle longer to start stuttering than others and stutter at a different frequency: Some start immediately and some take a minute or longer before they start to stutter.

I have installed all of the Windows updates and have turned on auto update. I have the latest nVidia driver for the GPU and the latest BIOS and monitor drivers. I'v also installed codecs from and the latest flash player. None of this helped, so I'm starting to think this may be a hardware issue. Any suggestions on further troubleshooting?

Here are my specs:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz 102 °F
Westmere-EP 32nm Technology
Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz 97 °F
Westmere-EP 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation S5520SC (CPU1)
Graphics
HP LP2475w (1920x1200@59Hz)
Acer X243W (1920x1200@59Hz)
1536MB Quadro FX 4800 (nVidia) 132 °F
Hard Drives
149GB INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC ATA Device (SSD)
932GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 79 °F
932GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 78 °F
932GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 78 °F
932GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 79 °F
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Thanks,

Phil

Did you load the latest drivers for the intel rapid storage? audio device? chipset of the MB? network chip? Not the ones windows loads, and not the ones from the motherboard site, those are always downlevel.

Excellent point and for sure do that first. Check device manager for any obvious problems (exclamation points/question marks). If no obvious problems, updates are still a good idea.

Tried downloading VLC - no fix.

No obvious problems in device manager, so I downloaded the latest drivers for the SSD, motherboard chipset and network controller - one at a time, checking for the problem after each one. It turned out to be the network controller driver! It doesn't make sense to me, but the problem is fixed...

Now, I can get some work done. Thanks all for your suggestions and Special Thanks to rclarke250 for the fix.

Don't know why I bothered to ask the Microsoft Community folks - they never really help. I should have come here first and saved myself a few days of agony. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back