Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techage

Technical User
May 22, 2007
US
Hey everyone: I have a question related to video streaming. Specifically have been wrestling with the following scenario; I have a client who uses the "Livestream" platform for real time feed to the public, and has been dealing with hiccups related to the feed.

Customer first reported error message "Your computer CPU is not able to encode at the desired quality, bitrate and frame rate". In speaking to a rep with Livestream, they suggested lowering CPU usage via their software, Windows 7 as the optimal OS, and using an Intel Core i7 2600k processor. Except for the specific Intel chip, the OS is in place and suggested tweaks have been made, but did not completely resolve the issue as my client has reported that the issue remains.

Based on a discussion that I had with the customer I decided to check their server instead. I just wanted to rule out, if possible, that particular piece of hardware as the issue. I checked the internal system for the potential of over-heating (broken fans, missing or damaged heat sink....etc), but everything was in good shape.

I then checked CPU usage by opening tons of apps (Microsoft Office, Media Player to name a few) and a lot of windows with videos, to see it would stress the processor, but it barely budged.

I'm now considering moving their server off of the LAN to isolate the streaming, but would like to know how best to approach this. My thought is that it may require an entirely separate dedicated network, which will cost the customer additional money. I only want to suggest this to them if absolutely necessary. Is this the best option?

Sorry for this long post, but want to make sure to provide as much information as possible.

Truly appreciate any direction on this.....

Chris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back