Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video san

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodrigof

Programmer
Feb 19, 2008
CO
Hi dudes i have a 6TB raid 6 SAN to work in video editing applications under Final Cut Pro, 21 units total, 4 of them in fibre channel, 17 in gigabit ethernet this way sharing the resources (just sharing the raid).

all computers can see the raid as a disk in the network and they capture audio and video directly to it as a shared unit. BUT users sometimes delete files they dont owe, this way im prone to a catastrophe if someone decides to erase something or erase all!!!

what is the easyest way to provide access to san but not to erase files? as it is a video server i cant install a lot of services having degraded performance

best

rodrigo

hi,
I don't know which kind of SAN you have, usually who writes on this forum has a NETAPP, and I don't know this video env
in which 21 servers see the same SAN component.

Usually in a storage, it sees physical disks, build Arrays
with a groups of them, then an array is splitted in logical volumes (someone call these LUN). I prefere call them LUN, only when, using storage configuration, one or more servers, can access them.

A storage gives access to more than one server (you configure it so), only in particular situations:
Cluster, Virtualizzation, ... : ONLY when hosts speak together using a specific tool and them concorde access by own policies.

If on strorage, in a host-shared LUN you have a NTFS partition, if 2 servers access the same partition,
without cluster software, the risk is not that someone delete a not-own file, but is that all the partition may be corrupted!

Probably you have an array RAID6 not splitted in LUNs, but just 1 LUN. Only an OS can permit user/access to a file.
May be that your storage has a level of SW, like NAS,
that does this, but strictly speking this is not a storage task.

Working in canonical way, without a NAS, just 1 server can access the LUN, then you share the resource by OS/networking tools (LAN manager, NFS, it depends from OS)

If you have NAS, this task may be done by it, but only if you can add it on the Domain (if Windows) or defining common user ids between hosts and storage in Unix env.

ciao
vittorio

hi, i forgot to say that im working MAC SERVER OS. there are not 21 servers, just one server composed by two machines (servers controlling the SAN) and 21 clients who need access to the networked resource.

do you think i will need to create a lot of accounts and give a password each time any unit access the SAN?

best

rodrigo

hi,
I don't know MAC OS and less its SAN (probably a mix between achronim and product name),
but making a parallel with Win or Unix, the password is required at login user, and after the system recognize the user when he access a network resource, and not require
again password.

bye
vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back