Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video resolution changes at random

Status
Not open for further replies.

swp5767

MIS
Nov 3, 2009
US
the resolution will start out at 1280x1024 and at random it will change to 1440x900. It can be changed back, but the next day it will go to the max resolution again.

Thanks for any help

Windows XP, Vista, 7? Linux? OSX?

Machine - custom built, Dell, HP/Compaq, etc?

Graphics card - Onboard? nVidia? ATi? Intel?

Monitor brand/model?

My initial guess is that Windows is auto-setting your resolution settings, and that possibly the monitor is as well. So they are in conflict. My first suggestion is to find the setting for Windows auto-correct, and change it to non-auto correct... Or if easier to find, try doing the same for the monitor's auto correct. That will be in the monitor settings, found directly on the monitor, unless it's done via software.

Another thought is to check your video drivers. Make sure they are up to date. The manufacturers are always releasing updates to fix minor tweaks such as this.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

one question from me: is there a KVM switch in between?

if so, is it Analog or Digital?

if Analog, replace it or eliminate it... and/or attempt to find a correct INF file for the MONITOR...

reason: Resolution detection from the driver is usually done per EDID, which is read from the monitor at startup, if it cannot correctly read it, it will attempt to set a resolution found in the INF file for the MONITOR...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back