Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIDEO RECORDING WITH WIN98 VS WIN2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

defrostsl

Programmer
Aug 19, 2002
LK
I have a hauppague winTV tv card. My machine is an intel P4
machine with 128 MB of RAM.
My hard drive is 20GB.
I have an Iomega CD writer too.

I want to copy all of my current VHS cassetes to VCDs.
Therefore I want to copy each of the 180 minute VHS cassettes one by one to my Hard Drive and then copy them to CDs.

(1)Is it possible to record/copy a 180 minutes video cassette to my hard disk?

(2)Is this is possible in win98 FAt32 system?

(3) Do I need to have win2000 or any other NTFS file system
operating system to do this?

(4) Please explain me how to record a VHS cassette to a 650/700MB CD/s.

Please help me on this problem.

Thank You very much
Defrostsl

1) In answer to your first question: What format will it be recorded in? If avi., then you will need 1 gig of drive space for about 5 minutes of video. You will have to transcode the avi to the proper mpeg1 format if you intend to use VCD in a DVD player.

2&3) If you plan to do this sort of thing a lot, save yourself some stress and use Win2000. It has no practical limit on file size. 98 and ME are limited to 4 gig files.

4)Understand I am making some assumptions on your hardware and how you are doing this.
Capture the video into avi files. If you wish, use a video editor to make adjustments to the content. Transcode to the proper VCD file type mpeg1 1123k (most of the entry level video editors will do this for you; Ulead Video Studio, etc). Then use your CD burner to create the disk (it should have settings or a template for you to do this).

you could look into dvd-ripping to get an idea of different coding engines that may give you better sound/audio quality then a standard format like Avi.

Check out the links for dvd info

Guides for vhs to mpeg

There are plenty more just search in google

PS (I don't endorse ripping of illegal/copied DVD's in any way)

Good luck

um the best/fastest way is to configure your program to capture in mpeg1/vcd quality. the screen size is 352X240, 1.67mb a second, 29.97 frames a second. if your using ATI, then the motion should be 90 *100 wud require too much CPU usage* then you can use a program to split da video file *tmpgenc is a good one* since a cd can onlie hold 74 minz of video/audio in mpeg 1 format. this should take about a max of 2 gigs at once. the onlie real file u should have is da mpeg that you captured, which shouldnt be more than 2.2 gigs *for 180 mintues of video*. if you want u can convert the mpeg into divx format so you can put all 180 mintues of video on 1 cd *if you choose to, but video quality goes down. you have to tweak da settings, and also cut da frame rate by 2, as in to make it 15 frames per second, usual is 30* in ordre to get good quality video and a small size. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back