Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIDEO RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdublu

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
US
I bought a new pc which has video embedded into the motherboard using 128MB of the system RAM. i have a video card in another pc that i removed and installed it in this pc and it works fine. but wouldn't doing that release the 128MB from the embedded video in the system RAM since there is now a video card,which has its own 128MB of RAM, and show that RAM in total system RAM which is 1024MB in the motherboard slots? When I go into System Properties it still shows 896MB which is 128MB less than the 1024 MB installed in the motherboard slots.How can I get the 128MB of video RAM to be shown in the total system RAM to 1024MB instead of 896MB?
Thanks,Jim

Hi,
Is there a jumper on the Motherboard that 'tells' the BIOS not to use the on-board video?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

There's usually a setting in BIOS where you can disable on-board peripherals such as video, audio, com ports, parallel, etc.

If you get stuck tell us who makes your bios and we should be able to help

I have a system doing this. But, I wouldn't want to disable the on-board peripherals such as video, would I? How does one resolve this issue?

Erik

if you are using a seperate video card in a pci slot or agp then you do not need on-board video it should be its own option and it can be turned off i did this with my system becuase my card was much better then on board and it freed up all of that memory that was being taken up by the onboard

Remember free things are fun but they can come with an emotional price tags..

Right, but if you have on-board video then do you just live with the RAM being allocated to it?

Thanks,

Erik

Erik,

Pretty much. Most BIOSes will allow you to specify how much RAM is being shared but the on-board video needs to use system RAM because motherboard manufacturers won't put VRAM on the mobo.

erik it would probably be best to spend the money on a good video card and free up what little memory your pc has to offer because of you loose 128 to it each time u start the computer basically ou are loosing a lot of free space

Remember free things are fun but they can come with an emotional price tags..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back