Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video problems with onboard video and video-pci-card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toemel

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2004
CH
Hi

I have the following problem that I want to use another graphic card instead the onboard card. I have a Proliant 6000 with Win XP! I configured everything with the onboard video. So far so good and I can also see the onboard graphics controller and the pci graphics card in the device manager. So if I disable the onboard video in the device manager (so that only the pci card is activ) and switch off the onboard graphic (with switch 1) so I can't see the startup screen from the server. After windows xp is starting up the screen turns on and I can work with the new video card and also with the better resolution in win xp. So I don't know why the card isn't working during the boot process. Someone an idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Tom

Good idea on bios, always prudent to have it at latest rev. Although that is quite old for a 6000.

Try putting the PCI card onto a slot on the primary bus if you haven't already. Doubt it'll do anything but it rings a bell somewhere.

Neill

The Bios should be the "newest" on the server (P43). But yesterday I tried to put the card into another slot and then it happened the following: I could see the server boot process but then it hangs before checking the controller and the hard drives. So I have one Smart Array 3100ES and one Smart Array 3200. If I take out the other cards it's always the same. Any ideas why the system stops the boot process?

Tom

just out of interest have you tried a different graphics card

also what card is it?

Sorry I meant that the last firmware update for the 6000 was a long while ago.

Again check which bus you are putting the PCI card into. I think the 6000 has 3 different ones, although that might be the 6500.

Graphics card could also be hogging some of the memory needed by the RAID controllers.

Although quite why you would want to be using XP with a big server like that does escape me, unless you are wanting to warm your home of course. :-D

I'm using a HIS RADEON 7000 PCI graphics card. Before I was running a Proliant 3000 with this card and Suse Linux 9.1 and I had no problems. I also don't have another pci card only AGP.

On the Proliant 6000 i had a lot of problems installing Linux so i installed XP - without any problems, i don't know why ;-) ! In fact for the next winter i don't need a heater anymore.

The graphics card is in slot 6 (pci bus 2) and the smart array 3200 is in slot 3 (pci bus 1). But i tried already all the other combinations with and without smart array controller 3200.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back