Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video over cat 5e/utp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepsenm

MIS
Oct 21, 2002
US
does anyone have any experience with running video (vga) over cat 5e/utp/solid? also using catlinc media converters at each end of cable. cables have 8 conductor/8 position modular plugs crimped at each end. no jacks or patch panels. i would just like a little feedback if anyone has done a install like this. thanks a bunch

We've had some experience running VGA over Cat5e, and so far it has all been fairly good.
The VGA converters we use work great. Clear video out to 300'.
The KVM over Cat5e extenders we have ried have not worked great over longer distances (added some distortion to the video).
Make sure the converter you are looking at will service the video resolution you are driving from the source, and has some sort of compensation for cable length.

I've recently been learning alot about this, From what I read you need to use a balum to connect the cameras to your UTP cable. The installer I've watched did not use a balum (far as I could see) and it worked fine, I have no clue to the pros and cons of this. He also ran the power over the same line with a 24 volt modular power supply. I"ve read the line will hold a max of about 12 watts.

A truely convienant way to do a CCTV system.

Read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back