Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video memory confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfey2424

Technical User
Jul 4, 2007
AU
I have decided (with the help of MANY others on this site) to get a Toshiba A200/K00 laptop. You can find it online with a bonus pack (a laptop bag and MSOFFICE 2007 Academic Edition) if you search for "A200/K00" on
Anyway, it's all well and good, but I see this:

VIDEO – nVidia GeForce G 72MV with 128MB video memory

^Does this mean it's a TRUE 128MB VIDEO memory, or is it 64MB "Actual" video memory, and the other 64MB taken from the computer's RAM? Hoping it's not the latter, because I want at least 128MB (it's whats been recommended to me for casual gaming)

That's a misprint on the site. According to Toshiba's website (which I fixed the link in your other thread), it says you have the following:

Code:
nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7300 graphics card with up to 256MB of
video memory (128MB discrete and up to 128MB shared system
memory) – a high-end solution for graphics intensive applications.

As of early 2006, this graphics chipset was able to play many of the latest games at decent frame rates in fairly high detail. It's a bit outdated now, but for casual gaming it should still be fine. I'd say it's right at entry-level for those who want to do a little gaming on their laptops.

As you can see here, it's quite comparable to a PCI-E GeForce 7100 GS:

Although it's hard to find a review on the GeForce Go, if you look up the GeForce 7100, the benchmarks should be pretty close to what you can expect to get.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks very very much for your help! I think I'll go ahead and buy the A200/K00. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back