Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulfly01

Technical User
Jan 29, 2012
CA
Hi guys,

I've recently experienced a little bit of lag when watching videos lately. Whether it's a youtube video or other sites, I still experience some choppiness. It's not excruciating lag, but it's still annoying.

The weird thing is the lag starts after about 5-10 minutes into the video. After I restart the browser, it becomes fine but then becomes laggy once again after 5-10 minutes. I've tried different browsers (Firefox, IE, Google chrome) and they all do the same thing.

I've did a clean install of adobe flash player and my video drivers are up to date...don't think it's an issue with those.

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
m2n sli-deluxe
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 5200
4 gigs RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT(version 8.17.12.7533)

Some help would be really appreciate...Thanks in advance!

see if this is of any help:

Buffering and playback problems

btw. what anti-virus software and firewall do you have installed, is hardware acceleration enabled for the nVidia graphics card?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

2 things:

1. Monitor your CPU usage through task manager . Is there anything using up processor when the video is playing?

2. YouTube has recently changed their default playback settings to have videos play at higher resolutions. Used to be set at 480p for large player and full screen. It's been moved up to 720p HD. Which means videos have a larger file size, and so take longer to buffer the same amount of video. Check the buffering bar in the player timeline. How far ahead of the playback marker is it. The playback may be catching up to the buffer and so it stutters as it loads.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I use AVG free edition as my anti-virus and I use the default windows 7 firewall and yes, my hardware acceleration is enabled, also, my CPU usage is fine, resting at 2-8%.

I also want to make clear that the choppiness doesn't happen only with youtube videos, but also does with novamov, metacafe and so on...So i know it's not a problem with youtube.

I'm still having issues unfortunately, heh =/

Thanks for responding guys!

I am aware that it was not just YouTube... ;)

but rather a problem with flash playing videos...

what you could do is a test, start your browser then navigate to one of the videos on YouTube, for instance, that has exhibited choppy playback in the past, start the video and as soon as it starts to play hit the PAUSE button, then let it sit for about 5 or more minutes, then continue with the playback and let us know how it behaves?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I don't know what I did, but everything is good now, haha. Perhaps it was just a phase or something. :p

Thank you BigBagBen, I appreciate your concern,

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back