Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I have a ASrock 4CoreDual-VSTA system running Windows XP Service Pack 3 with a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS video Board. It displays normally for a while then the on screen video becomes distorted, oversized and unreadable(my mouse also freezes when this happens). I put in new case fans because I though my tower case was overheating. Now I wondering if the problem is my display. Anyone has any suggestions?

Replace it as there is nothing you can to 'service it', the symptoms suggest it is the video card memory 'glitching'.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

[ol 1][li]If you're certain the mouse is freezing, it's not the display.[/li]
[li]I would be tempted to try a different video card, especially if you have one handy.[/li]
[li]Another thing you can look at is are any capacitors on the motherboard bulging or leaking. If so, and you don't want to carry out soldering and desoldering on a motherboard, then consider the board toast.[/li]
[li]If the hardware SEEMS to check out, you could try booting to safe mode[/li]
[li]You could also try booting to another OS such as a live Linux Distro CD. If you're not familiar with Linux, Ubuntu is pretty easy to use (several others as well, but that one is one of the most popular).[/li]
[li]More than likely overall, it may be time to discard/recycle that unit and buy/build new if that's a possibility for you, budget-wise.[/li][/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Power supply is another possibility. Do you have a power supply tester or another power supply to throw in and see what happens?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back