Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Conferencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken07734

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
US
Heres a question:

is there a way to setup my webcam to make a connection to a video conference using ip or isdn by dialing into or ip'ing to a larger vid like say sony or polycom viewstation??

If you want to IP or ISDN into a conference, you can use Netmeeting to do this. If you dont have an ISDN connection, you may use a bridging service to connect to ISDN endpoints. IP to IP and ISDN to ISDN can usually be done without a bridge. Another good conferencing app is CUSee Me.

I also have a client that is looking for a Video/Voice over IP solution. I have the Voice part covered but the video i'm not to confident with what i am proposing.

I have said using a Creative Labs Webcam Pro eX with netmeeting should do the trick. The only problem is they want to hold the webcam in front of big A2/A1 maps and for it to be able to go in to v.good quality at the other end. Maps that are in elctronic format arn't a problems 'cause they can us the desktop sharing.

Cheers, JP

In regard to viewing the maps you may want to be cautious about recommending a webcam type solution. I don't think the quality would be efficient for that purpose and easy mobility and adjustment would be a chore as well.

Usually the web cams are suitable for desktop video but IMHO are lacking in the business arena for quality. If your client requires the ability to show large maps you may want to look into a larger solution such as the Polycom viewstation or like product. And use the webcam products for desktop video only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back