Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video conferencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpp

MIS
Jul 13, 2000
US
We are looking to do video conferencing over ip.
What's the best cisco router for the job (regardless of cost)
and if cost is an issue , which one would be recommended on a budget of $4000 to $5000 (including the wan and lan interfaces?)

(I am currently looking at the 3640, which i can get on ebay for about $4000 (with wan and lan interfaces) )

any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

the 3630 seems to a good product however I would be careful of what you get from ebay. What type of WAN connection are you going to have? (ATM,T1,isdn etc ) Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I use VC over MPLS on a cisco 1605R. Works great as long as you have CIR tossed at it. We run polycom with 30FPS

Pretty low end router but handles this really well, not including all the other traffic we have on the networks

We use Polycom's over 1601, 1605, and 2600 routers. All seem to work well across our T1 links. Just depends on what else you have going on.

The 1600 will work just fine, but it is 10Mbps Half Duplex on the ethernet links (so, if you have ALOT of traffic, may need to upgrade). Your best bet would be a 1700 or 2600, because of their Fast Ethernet 10/100 Mbps & Half/Full Duplex capabilities. You don't need to jump up to a 3600 unless you have several T1 links coming into one place.

Just make sure to setup a service policy for the Video packets that you are sending across your T1. This will set a priority for your video traffic.

if you only have a T1 you only need something that can fill a T1 (just about anything these days). What you *should* about is the CPU to handle PQ-CBWFQ to strict prioritize your real time traffic over elastic traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back