Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video card problem please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broha

Technical User
Nov 5, 2004
CA
Hi, I have a p3 733 compaq sff with a riva tnt2 pro onboard. However when i try to install my hercules 3d prophet 2 mx when the computer boots up the screen remains black, and there is a little click when it should be acknowledging the card. After when i return to the onboard card it tells me there was a problem with an add-in card and safepost is skipping any add-in cards for the next boot. I have no idea what to do or if the card can even be salvaged, it used to work. If anyone could provide any help i would appreciate it sooooo much. Thank you

Check for a item in BIOS to disable the onboard video adapter, or check the computer's or MB's documentation for a MB jumper to do the same.

If that is N/A, then:
1. Right click on the Desktop and select Properties.
2. Click on the Settings tab, then the Advance button.
3. Click on the Adapter tab, then the Change button.
4. On the first Wizard screen, hit the Next button.
5. On the next screen, select "Display a list of all the drivers......", then hit Next.
6. On the next screen, select "Show all Hardware", then highlight "Standard Display Types" at the top, then in the right window, select "Standard Display Adapter VGA", then hit Next.
7. You may be asked to insert the 98 CD to load the driver.
8. If Windows asks if you want to restart, say NO.
9. Shut down the computer and install the new video card.
When you reboot, Windows should detect the new card and you can install the drivers for it.

If no luck, then:
Right click on My Computer, and select Properties/Device Manager.
Click on the + next to Display Adapters.
Double click on the onboard video adapter.
Check the box for 'Disable in this hardware profile', click OK, and re-start the computer if it prompts you to do so.
After it reboots, shut it down, and install the new video card.
Move your monitor over to the new graphics card, restart, and install the card's drivers.

thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem. I hope it's even something that can be fixed. I get the same results as before
b.

Go into safe mode/device manager and remove all video drivers. Instead of "re-boot", shut down. Remove the vid card and turn computer on, the system should recognize the onboard video chip. You may need your OS CD.

Installing a video card in a proprietary Compaq can turn into an effort in futility.

Thanks for the replies all. I don't really get what is going on. It used to work fine just pop it in it would recognize it and so on but now :( I am going to try it on someone else's computer to see if it is the card itself that is just damaged. Thanks again for the help if there are any more ideas i am definitly not averse to em!
J.

hey.. the card works on another computer, I have tried all of the suggestions but nothing works. I have formatted and put the card in and it didnt recognize it still i disabled the onboard as well. Is there anything else i can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back