Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video card problem 5 ports but only two works

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabie2

Technical User
Sep 19, 2007
US
I bought a videocard with three ports; HDMI, DVD and Display.
my own computer came with two DVI ports on the MB.
so all together I have 5 ports, 3) DVI 1)HDMI and 1)Display port.

I have 4 monitors hooked into it, so when I turn on the computer the computer only shows me monitors.
I am using windows 764 bit and I have 8gb of memory and my ps can handle the power so why is my computer only showing me two monitors?

I played around with the drivers; installed re-installed etc nothing works. In the NVidia display I only see two monitors but I am able to see the two videocards in device manager. they are working.

any ideas what could be wrong?

Yes...but you don't give enough information to fully give an answer, like what is model of the computer? system board? extra video card? Did you research and verify that when you added an additional video card, that the on board ports were both still active? Are they both still active if 2 ports are utilized on the Nvidia card? Does the Nvidia card allow all 3 ports to be used at the same time? Most don't, they allow the use of 2 out of the 3 typically.

What do you see in displays under control panel? what do you see if you click identify in the Nvidia control panel? In the Intel or AMD control panel, (because we have no idea what cpu you are using). What happens if you pull the Nvidia card, does the on board work with 2 monitors? These are just a few thoughts.

my computer is a hp elite 8200.
the cards I have is the zotac gtx 550TI and the cards that are embedded into the computer is the intel.
I researched it and the card is supposed to support 3 monitors the embedded card has two ports.
Like I said in my post only two cards ever show. the third will not activate unless one of them is disabled. ex. disable one and the other works.

the Zotac GTX 550 ti - multiview will support 3 outputs, but 2 have to be the HDMI outputs, and either one of the DVI or DP ports. If you do not have the multiview model, you can not display on 3 monitors. I really think you need to go with 2 video cards, as the ports on board get disabled as the ports on the discrete board are enabled. You could go with AMD as it will support 4 monitors with something like this:

I saw your card recommendation and it will do the same thing. I've called tech support on the cards and zotac said it will support three monitors in eyefinity mode but it will not support more than two independent monitors ;even though it has 5 ports. with tech supports help we got three monitors up but one was always mirrored.
they recommended changing the card to something else that will support three independent displays and a low profile card for the forth monitor.
I've been looking and I'm learning to read between the lines when it comes to videocards. a lot of them works good with two but not with three or more. zoom in at the box description of the link you sent. two independent displays only and eyefinity will not work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back