Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Card Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsilveira

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
CA
Hi everyone,

I currently have a Radeon 9100 and in the market for a new video card... I'm not a big gamer, but i do alot of webprogramming and graphics design. I want to know what you would recommend as a replaceable one?

Thanks,
jsilveira

Is this graphics you are involved with, include 3d designing like 3ds Max and Maya etc. ? Well if you're getting into areas like that you'd definitely need a decent VGA card with good support for 3D. But the requirement will be more for gaming, where u'd need a heavier GPU ( graphics proc unit ).

Aprt from that I dont think u'd need a serious VGA for usual 2D or desktop publishing work like Photoshop, Illustartor and even Adobe Premiere, since almost all VGAs now have excellent support for 2D rendering. It's the 3D rendering part that they differ in capability.

In my experience I had to change my VGA from a 16mb Savagae Card to a GeForce 2MX (64 MB) which proved to be an awesome improvement in smooth running of 3ds Max.

Hola,

I would suggest that you stick with the ATI line, less hassle with the drivers after installing the new card... and would opt for at least a 9550/9600 or better with at least 128mb ram at 128bit datawidth, this leaves ample to play a game or two aswell...

btw. I am using a 9550 myself and am quite content with it... and are quite cheap enough nowadays...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back