Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video card driver crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

r2016

Technical User
Dec 11, 2005
US

I have a custom built PC and the other day it got into a loop, where it would just keep resetting. I traced the problem to a corrupted video driver, I uninstalled the driver, and can't seem to find where I put the sheet, that I wrote all the info down on. Is there anyway to identify the video card, so I can go download a new driver for it? I think its a AGT video card; I noticed that next to the driver info, in the hardware profile, it said Oem5.inf. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What version of Windows do you have?

You can go into Device Manager and get the Hardware ID. Under Display Adapters, you should have a standard generic one listed (it could also be under "Unknown Device"). Right-click it and go to Properties. Under the Details tab, select Hardware ID from the drop down list. You'll see at least one listed that starts with "PCI\VEN". You might be able to turn up a few hits on google by searching for it. If not, let us know what that entry says, and maybe we'll have better luck.

Of course, you could always pop the side of the case off and remove the video card. It will likely have some identifiable markings.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Good advice from cdogg.

Another option is to download SIW (System Information for Windows) Freeware from
SIW displays every bit of info available for your system drivers included.

You need to scroll to the bottom to see the free home addition download option.

Sam

Ok, I will try that out. Thanks for the help guys.

You can also use command prompt and debug to display the BIOS related to the video. That generally will be enough to identify the card.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back