Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Card Connection Compatibility Problems With New Hardware..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KASGPEX

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm planning on building a newer computer.. Since my other computer is old and has a Flat LCD Panel Monitor (which has been doing great color for a long time now) I have known by now that my graphics AGP card is not a normal one.. It's a special card with a special cable that goes to the monitor (yep folks, you rarely see these in stores), :b (well it's not too special).. This is different from the primative "normal" monitor cables that you see everyday that have pins in them. My one has little tiny "lines"/"plates" of gold metal connectors.. (I think you call this DFP/DVI/or possibly a 20 Pin MDR DFP Port Cable, I don't think it's DVI) (
In my situation, I think it's a better cable and looks like newer technology. Of course there are female and male parts to the cable. And I bought the whole thing about 3 years ago.. :p
Anyways, I plan to move my old video card to my newer PC so I can use my monitor without any problems.. However, there is reason for me to believe that it is a 2X card because of the Windows Device Manager Information pops up:

Specifications:
Miscellaneous: ATi
Display Adapter: RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English)
Hardware Version: 220
Manufacturer: ATI Tech. - Enhanced
Current Resolution: 1024 X 768 (32 Bit)
Maximum Resolution: 1280 X 1024 (32 Bit)
Minimum Resolution: 640 X 480 (256 Color)

Honestly I don't think the resolutions will help, but still.. It's a good card.

I went through my BIOS Setup (by pressing F1 or F2 when the PC starts up) and it didn't say much, so I sorta got nothing from that. Unless I need to go to some special screen..

Monitor Specifications:
Gateway FPD1500

I would like to fit it in the new motherboard with the specifications below:

The New Motherboard:
ECS L4S8A2 MainBoard
8X AGP

More Info Can Be Found At This Link (Chipsets, etc):

They aren't all the specifications (that I've seen by research), but I think that's enough to help me out..

I'm open to ALL suggestions!
If there is a card out there that supports 4X/8X AGP and supports my monitor/cable (try to find a mostly 8X AGP working card), I'm willing to buy it. If I need a change in the motherboard (As long as it runs 2.4Ghz 533FSB and/or is as close to as the L4S8A2 mainboard) thats also fine (since the CNR slot is almost useless).. Anyways, you get the point, open to all suggestions!

I've also heard of the different voltages (1.5V, etc) that have to match up for it to work, I'm very cautious of this. I would also like to ask, how can I tell the voltage of the card? I've also heard about frying my new board when I get it and put it in. And I also may be dissapointed at the same time that this may not work.. But from what I got now, I'm confidently keeping my chin up! Please help, Thanks!

P.S.
I haven't bought anything new yet, so I'm (as you can say) safe for now.. I know you probibly got posts like this before, but it gets a little confusing when I go through all of them trying to put things together.. I'm gonna make sure this works. Why did they have to make this darn thing so complicated? Jeez..

You're absolutely right about the voltage change in AGP. It happened halfway through the 4X life-cycle. Fortunately, however, they've made it simple for us. If the slot supports the 2X and earlier 4X, with the higher voltage, the cards will fit. If it only supports the later 4X and 8X, then the slot is actually reversed, such that your 2X card would not fit. I guess my point is, if the card will fit in the AGP slot of your new board, it ought to work with no problems. However, don't expect blazing 3D renderings out of that card. Unfortunately, I know of no adapter to go into the more-or-less proprietary interface that Gateway chose to put on their flat screens, if that's not the standard DVI. If it is a standard DVI, then I'd just go pick up a new card with DVI. You'd be a lot happier with your graphics performance, if that's an issue for you. Hope my rambling has been of some help to you, at least. If not, let me know.

-J

I finally identified that my Flat Panel Monitor has a DFP Connector.. Not DVI.
Yeah, well now I know how to fit it in (Because of jbotz post above, thanks!), but then I have to be very precise to see if everything's the right length.

I'm not very much into graphics cards, I just want something to work at moderate speeds, not much of a gamer, nothing too fancy, nothing too high-performance, nothing with "blazing" performance.. But something that could handle the graphics level at least, and work in slots.. :p

Well, I've been looking all over the net for some video card that supports DFP.. And sadly, I only find cards that support 2X and 4X, not 8X, Ugh! If anyone knows a 8X AGP card that supports DFP, post the name on.

Yeah, I know.. I've looked for adapters some time ago for DFP connectors, but sadly came up with no adaptors for the cable.

And.. I've been looking all over the internet for a motherboard too (as a alternative choice), one that has some 4X/8X AGP compatibility, 5 PCI Slots, and 1 ISA Slot.. But instead I keep coming up with all these CNR and AMR Slots (remember, they're sorta useless), I dunno if ISA is more useless against CNR and AMR.. But I got pretty good parts to put in ISA Slots :). The problem is FINDING one like above with an ISA Slot.

And then we come back to the compatible with 8X thing again.. Sheesh. By far, I don't think that the 4X cards that I looked at with support for DFP (talked about this earlier) actually will fit in an 8X AGP.

Anyways, this thing goes round and round in circles in my head again.

SOLUTIONS I PICKED OUT:
1. Get Better Board With 4X AGP, 5 PCI, 1 ISA Slots, Buy Another DFP Card/Use The One I Already Have..
2. Keep/Get A Board With 8X AGP, 5 PCI, 1 ISA/CNR Slot, Get A 8X AGP DFP Card..

There may be more choices, but at the time I can't spill the beans..

Do you think I'm hopeless people? :b

Just to remember everybody, I still haven't solved my problem.. Despite if you read 3 seconds of my post above, you'll go away just because I solved 1 problem. But no, nuhuh.. They're still many to solve.

The tension is killing me! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back