Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video, 3D Accelerator Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennDuck

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2001
US
Video, 3D Accelerator Problem

Built new computer

Installed MSI K7T Pro 2-A Main board, VIA KT133 Chipset Based. With AMD Athlon 800, and 256 Mb of PC133 RAM

Installed Video card AGP ATI Rage 32 Mb 128 platform (could not get 3D Accelerated to run)
Installed different Video card AGP 64 Mb GeForce 2 MX 400 (Same problem, could not get 3D Accelerater ot run)

When starting game demo it will not load. Information on screen says CANNOT START ACCELERATED DIRECT 3D 6.

Process to date:
Installed latest driver from VIA for AGP chipset.
Installed latest driver from ATI for Rage Video card.
Uninstalled Rage driver and removed Rage card.
Installed GeForce Video card and drivers.
Installed latest driver for GeForce from nVIDIA web site.

I Would Appreciate any Help you can give. Thank You!

Following information from DXDIAG

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/21/2001, 16:36:15
Machine name: Glenn Beaty
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer:
System Model:
BIOS:
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~800MHz
Memory: 254MB RAM
Page File: 91MB used, 1702MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
DX Setup Parameters: /PackageInstall
DxDiag Version: 4.08.00.0400

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: The file nvdisp.drv is uncertified, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No input devices detected.
No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: MSI MS-StarForce 816/817/818 (Nvidia GeForce2 MX)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type:
DAC type:
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B2\000800
Display Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit)(optimal refresh rate)
Monitor: TRL/RIC DL-1750MU
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nvdisp.drv
Driver Version: 4.12.01.0649 (English)
DDI Version: Unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2000 15:12:00, 92224 bytes
Driver Certified: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
VDD: *vdd
Mini VDD: nvmini.vxd
Mini VDD Date: , 0 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4250-11CF-B063-00201DC2CD35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0110
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x00B2
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result:
D3D Test Result:
AGP Test Result:

I've just had a similar problem except that direct draw would work but direct 3d wouldn't. I tried re-installing windows with a fresh version of directx8a but didn't work. I tried tnt and a voodoo 3 but didn't work. In the end used a different motherboard (newer) and everything was fine. My motherboard was a lot older than yours and did previously work. However it seems like the same fault. It's probably the agp port. You could try to get hold of a pci graphic card and try that to confirm it.

Hope that helps?

Thank you for your input.

I was thinking the chipset might have a problem because everything seems to work except the 3D-Accelerator, (direct draw was working).

I bought another motherboard (same type) to put together another computer, and every thing works ok, (including the Rage video card that wouldn't work on the other motherboard.

For what its worth I too have exactly the same set of circumstances and problems as above having installed W2K. I run an EPOX m/b EP-MVP3G-M (built 1998) which uses VIA APOLLO chipset. I also HAD an ATI RAGE 128 PRO (which was fine on W98) but on running DXDIAG on W2K the video acceleration boxes were 'greyed out' i.e. disabled. Advice from ATI was to clear out all references to ATI, files, folders and registry, and then reload the latest drivers. I did all of that also loaded M'soft 'Hot fix' for WIN2K and VIA chipsets, loaded latest m/b drivers from manufacturer, FLASHed the BIOS to the latest level and.......NO CHANGE!
Bought a new GEFORCE2 (nvidia chipset) graphics card and installed ....... NO CHANGE!
I've now given up and will be buying a new m/b unless somebody somewhere has the answer.

Me too..
Same problem with my an EPOX m/b EP-MVP3G-M (built 1998) ..
And when I use Matrox G400/G450 ...
They both got all directX be disabled ..>_<
Including ddraw, d3d, and agp....

Same problem, but I mailed Nvidia en ELSA, I have an Elsa Gladiac 511 64 mb gforce 2 mx400
SYSTEM: MSI K7T266 DDR RAID
DDR 256 MB
CPU AMD K7 1200 (266)
ANd all the other stuff.

I have a problem with Half Life Counterstrike, I can't play it in full screen. So at first I mailed SIERRA (producers of COunterstrike) And they say the following :

At 08/30/2001 08:36 AM we wrote - The problem you are describing could be a result of several issues. Please try following troubleshooting steps:

1. Set Desktop Colors
2. Close background programs
3. DirectX Diagnostic Tool / Update Drivers
4. Restart the machine with a system disk

1. Set Desktop Colors

Run the desktop in 16-bit (high) color when playing the game. To ensure the display is set to 16-bit color:
- Click with the right-hand mouse button on the Windows desktop and choose PROPERTIES from the menu that pops up.
- Click on the SETTINGS tab from the Display Properties window that comes up.
- Change the color palette to 16-bit (high) color if it is not already set there.
- Click the OK button from the Display Properties box. If Windows prompts to restart the computer for the new settings to take effect, go ahead and restart.

2. Close TSRs

Close down any programs that may be running in the background Note: There may be programs that are loaded up automatically and therefore, running on the computer without having been manually opened. To check:
- From the desktop, hold down the CTRL, ALT and DELETE buttons to bring up the CLOSE PROGRAM window. The only things necessary to have running in this list are EXPLORER and SYSTRAY.
- If other programs are in this list, highlight them individually and click on the END TASK button.
- Repeat these steps until only EXPLORER and SYSTRAY remain in the list.

3. DirectX Diagnostic Tool / Update Drivers

a. Make sure all drivers on the computer are DirectX compatible. To do this:
- Click on the Start button, go to Find, and select Files and Folders.
- In the NAMED dialogue box, type DXDIAG.EXE.
- Within the LOOKIN dialogue box, ensure that the [C:] drive is selected and then click the FIND NOW button.
- After the file is found, double-click on the file name (DXDIAG.EXE) displayed in the larger box which appears below to bring up a DirectX Diagnostic Tool Window.
- Click on each of the Display and Sound tabs and make sure all listed drivers are listed as Certified. This will be shown under the Drivers section on the upper right-hand side of each tab.
- Also, performance tests can be run on the drivers from the Display and Sound tabs. If any drivers are not certified or if there are any problems running the tests, contact the computer manufacturer to update the drivers.

b. Regardless of the results, it may be beneficial to update the video and sound card drivers. The hardware manufacturer may have released newer drivers that improve performance/compatibility or, in some cases, the actual install of the drivers may suffer from some form of corruption.

To update the drivers, first, go to the System Properties window by holding down the ALT key and double-clicking on the My Computer icon. Click on the Device Manager tab and click on the &quot;+&quot; symbol in front of display adapters (the video card should drop down) and the &quot;+&quot; symbol in front of sound, video and game controllers (the soundcard should drop down). After writing down the type and model of the card(s), contact the system vendor for recommendations as to where to go to obtain drivers for the card(s). Another option is to go to the card manufacturers' websites. To try to find their sites, use the following sites which have most card manufacturers' websites listed: or . Next, go to each card manufacturer's website and go to their Drivers section. Then select and download the driver with the most current date associated with the particular model card as listed within the device manager for the version of Windows ('95 or '98) installed on the computer. (Note: it is still a good idea to verify with the system vendor that the drivers which are trying to be obtained are going to be the best for the system).

4. Starting the computer with a system disk will also streamline system resources. It can be used in conjunction with closing background programs. NOTE: Windows 98/Millennium users skip to step 5.

To create a system disk:
- Put a blank 3 1/2&quot; floppy disk in the A: drive.
- Double-click the My Computer icon.
- Right-click the A: drive icon and select Format from the context menu.
- In the Format menu, select the Full. For Other Options, choose Copy System Files.
- When the disk has finished copying, click the Start button, go to Programs and select Windows Explorer.

At this point it will be necessary to change your file viewing options. To do this:
- Go to the View menu and select Options.
- Click the Show All Files radio button.
- Remove the check mark from the box next to the words Hide MS-DOS file extensions for file types that are registered.
- Click Apply then close Windows Explorer.

The system disk requires one additional file. To add this:
- Click the Start button, then choose Find and select Files or Folders.
- In the Named field, type MSDOS.SYS.
- Make sure the Look In field is set to C: and click Find Now.
- Right-click the MSDOS.SYS icon.
- In the context menu, select Send To, then select 3 1/2&quot; Floppy A:.
- Click Yes on the message about overwriting the existing file.

The computer must be restarted using the system disk in order for the system resources to be streamlined. To do this:
- Leave the system disk in the A: drive.
- Click Start and select Shut Down.
- In the Shut Down menu, select Restart the Computer.

5. Starting the computer using the selective startup option from the System Configuration Utility will streamline system resources. To do this under Windows 98 or Millennium:
- Click on Start and choose on Run.
- In the open window type MSCONFIG and click the OK button. This will open the System Configuration Utility window.
- Click on the General Tab.
- Under Selective Startup, uncheck Process Config.Sys file, Process Autoexec.bat file, and Load Startup Group Items.
- Click on Apply and then click on OK. When prompted to restart Windows, click on the OK button.

To return to the standard system configuration, repeat the above steps to bring up the System Configuration Utility and choose Normal Startup.

SO i did it all, but they said in the mail :

-Click on each of the Display and Sound tabs and make sure all listed drivers are listed as CERTIFIED. This will be shown under the Drivers section on the upper right-hand side of each tab.

So nvdisp.drv has to be certified, so I mailed Elsa, and they say :

You don´t need any help.... The driver does not need to be certified to work
correctly...

I downloaded the newest drivers, but still the same problem. So I checked the homepage of NVIDIA.
And they have only this one :
Windows 9x Driver (v21.81)
Self Extracting Installer
Release Date: 9/10/2001
3.62MB | Version 21.81
Non-WHQL Certified

But i think it need to be certified. I don't have any time to got further. I don't have allot of time, maybe someone can get further.

GrEeTz ThE oNe AnD oNlY tHe HoLy SeNtReX

Here I am again, I sended a mail to the game producer (SIERRA) again, And I only have to wait for an awnser, I looked at my fathers computer and it has also NVDISP.DRV not certified, and he can play the game at full screen, so that is not the problem i think. Maybe it works at someone else, with all the rebooting..

GrEeTZ.........

I am having a similar problem also.
I've been trying to get this game to run for 2 weeks now.
The only problem that I know I have is, it says nvdisp.drv is NOT certified.
I also went to the NIVDA site and download new drivers but it still didn't help.
Anyone have any advise?

I have the same problem. Everything I tried doesn't work. Let's start a support group!

I have the same prob, I get massive blue screen errors. I tried all the directX things and VMM, also rebuild all my vxd's which seemed to be imvolved in the problem, no fix..

It all started after I downloaded the Det XP drivers from nvidia.

I have the same prob, I get a blank start icon. It all started after I downloaded the Det XP drivers from nvidia.

ok SAME PROB when I try and open counter strike and it tries to get into full screen my screen goes blank and my power button on my monitor blinks...i think this is a cause by the monitor we use b/c i tried my sisters and brothers monitors and it worked fine...ONLY my monitor doesnt work...BS but yea i dunno PLEASE SUMONE GET HELP

Okay. I cannot start UT in full screen. Instead, it goes to software mode. I am using a 3D Prophet II MX (Hercules) (32MB) card. It worked fine in Windows 98SE, but I installed Win2K. I noticed the game was choppy when I first started playing UT. Anyway, I continued installing everything. When I came back to UT, it would not go full screen. I can use OpenGL, but it is too dark; however, I do not want to use OpenGL. I _want_ to use D3D, and it does not work. I have tried the NVIDIA drivers, Hercules drivers, old drivers, new drivers, programs to remove DirectX 8 and tried reinstalling DX7, reinstalled DX8, reinstalled UT, installed patches for UT, used alternative DLLs for UT, etc. No one seems to have an answer. The worst part is that it was working fine previously. I think the DirectX 8 has something to do with it. I do not want to reinstall Win2K, though since everything else works fine. Any ideas? Thank you.

I tried to help a friend a long time ago who had a MSI-motherboard. First he bought a RivaTNT2 graphics card to play all the funny 3d-games out there. It didnt work. There was some garbage on the screen when running windows and when trying to start a game it hanged. I updated the drivers for the motherboard, the chipset etc, reformated the drive and reinstalled windows but it didnt help. He changed the card to a Voodoo2 card and that didnt work either. Similar problems started again. I've later heard about 2 other people where i work who has MSI-motherboards and can't seem to get a single 3D-card to work.

Conclusion: I hate MSI-motherboards and will not buy one as long as I have a choice.

I had the same problem running a geforce 2 mx400 (unknown manufacturer)I am using a Epox 8KTA3+ motheboard with 800mhz Duron processor and 256mb pc133 RAM, For some unknown reason the geforce started running perfectly in full screen in D3D and OpenGL (I think it had something to do with installing DirectX Media??) BUT now I have another problem, when changing resolutions in games my monitor goes blank until I turn it off then on (Dell D1025HE 17&quot;) has anybody had the same problem?

I also have a problem with my geforce2 and half-life. I cant get it working in opengl mode. I also have a voodoo2, that one didnt work also, but when i used wickedgl (driver update for games for only voodoo) it did work. So what i think is that there should be an allround opengl driver for half-life.... Cause i think that's the problem...

i have just baught microsoft fs2002, and when i try to play i get a message telling me that i need dx8.0a or higher.
i downloaded dx8.1 and i am still getting the message.
i checked my dxdiag and an error message popped up telling me that my version of dxdiag is older than my version of directx, i dont know what to do
: ( please help me : )

ok.. me never had prob but always get different issues with direct3d and diredtdraw when playing CS... i have geforce 400 and found playing in open gl mode fixes all the D3D issues.....

I just had a similar sort of problem.
Just built step by step check, an amd1600+ system using K7T266 pro2 board by MIS, 512mb266mhz ram, 32mg Nvidia Gforce2 MX AGP, and all trimmings, and what happens?

I power on the system for the first time, lights up, hard drive green and up, but my Sony Trinitron monitor never awakes from suspend mode. I know the video card is good, because I am using it in my old system to email you right now, and later continue playing EverQuest.

My question is, is this a defective motherboard, or a defective processor? Typically I am used to building a PC and getting at least to the bios before a snag, but I cant even see anything to get to any problems, PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!!!!!

Signed,

Frustrated and Tired, Jonathan

I've got the same exact problem with the same error messages. I've an AMD 1.2, DDR memory, WIN-ME. In my case I'm trying to run Myst III. I've tried video drivers, bios updates, changing setup options, everything that you guys have done and nothing works. But, I brought it to a computer repairman and he made it run just by connecting a different hard drive to it. Mine was an ATA100 7200rpm and his was an ATA66 5600rpm. He didn't know why but there on the screen was the game running perfectly. So in my mind it is something that is related to the hard drive somehow. It still doesn't work because I've got my own drive back in but I repeat, it worked with a slower drive in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back