Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIA Busmaster not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacemanStu

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
US
I am booting from a SCSI drive, with a VIA Busmaster IDE. The driver for the VIA loads ok, then asks for a restart to set up the primary and secondary IDE busses. It will not set up the pri and sec, asks for a restart every time it is booted. These drives were working before, but quit when AOL 5.0 was installed. CD drives ( a rom and a rw) are both detected by bios, but cannot be seen by windows because of the controller not being set up all the way.

Thanks for the help!

SpacemanStu:

What operating system are you using with this VIA controller? Which version of the VIA software are you using or attempting to use? Do you have any yellow splats in device manager? By yellow splats, I mean the exclamation point with the yellow triangle around it. You may need to boot into safe mode, depending on which OS you are using and see how many hard drive controllers you have listed there. I've run into this before in the W9x, ME versions of Windows and usually it requires an edit of the registry to fix.

OS is Win ME, yellow splats on primary and secondary controllers, but not on the Busmaster line.
Not sure what version the Busmaster software is, I have very limited access to this machine, and did not check the version. The pri and sec controllers are using the standard ME drivers, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back